Friday, September 11, 2026

Week in Review: Cottage Closing, Living Life, and a Physical PSA

I was trying to think back as to what went on this week and the biggest and bestest news was that The Ice Cream Cottage is officially closed for Season 4.  Woohoo!  We were running it on a skeleton crew, with Phil and Xander working doubles each day, so it is nice to be done with that until next May (once it's cleaned and winterized, of course).  


The last shift of wonderful workers

Even I had to go in on the last day because we were so busy and they needed waffle cones!

Once a season whether I like it or not

Fr. Cook helping himself to a last supper scooper

Everytime we covered up a flavor with tape, the crowd booed.  It was very dramatic! I loved it!

By the end, we only had Rum Raisin and Grapenut left (aka the old people flavors, even though I love grapenut), and people just kept ordering them until this was all the ice cream we had left in the shop:


Xander: I've never heard so many people ordering Grapenut before!

Me: That's because it's all we have left.  Desperate times!

Xander had his first Cross Country meet on Wednesday, and I had to buy Xan new sneakers at the last minute, and geesh is Dick's expensive!  He wanted On Clouds because that's what his coach said was best, and I'm glad I googled a Dick's coupon for $20 off $100 before we went to the register because On Clouds must be made of gold.  He paid $100 towards them, and they better turn him into an Olympic athlete ;)

Testing out the new kicks at practice - to be fair they have him smiling while running

Declan started soccer practices this week, and we had Back to School Night on Wednesday at the little's school and Back to School Night on Thursday at the high school.  Xander wants to go to the football game tonight, Declan has an early soccer game on Saturday morning and a birthday party in the afternoon, and Brendan's swim team starts up on Monday.  What's that saying about no rest for the weary?


Some of my family got together for a little Labor Day picnic at the lighthouse, and Brendan got to try out one of his birthday presents.  It wasn't quite windy enough but he had fun trying!


Phil roasted tomatoes from my Dad's garden and made a yummy meat sauce for dinner:


I made French Onion soup in the crockpot this week to take for lunches and it is just so good topped with swiss cheese and croutons:


Maggie and friends went to First on Fourth, where they shut down 4th Street in Steubenville on every First Friday and have vendors and music, etc:




She also won her first Intramural Beach Volleyball game...


...and shared a meal with her team after:


Eamon played in a two day golf tournament with friends and is on a different beach volleyball team from Maggie, so they might end up playing each other I guess?  



Eamon and Andrew played in the Household Dodgeball Tournament:


I don't know what's up with the tucked in shirts??



Andrew has been so busy between managing the soccer team, creating their social media, interviewing/planning for the mission trip (he interviewed Maggie this week - I hope she gets in!) and worrying he won't pass Cell Physiology to graduate this year.  He needs prayers and a 30 hour day.


JP has been going rock-climbing with his (former college gymnast) roommate and really likes it!  He's also attending a Catholic Singles event tonight that he's hoping will be fun and I'm so proud of him for making time to try new things and put himself out there.

 TMI time (I warned ya)

I went for a pap and got negative results for those screenings, thanks be to God, but the NP thinks I might have fibroids so I have an ultrasound scheduled next month to see about that.  I don't think I've ever had an ultrasound unless I was preggers, so that should be interesting and depressing because I'll be looking for a little bambino on the screen.  I know I always say it (but I do practice what I preach) so please go get your annual physical and all the tests recommended for your age m'kay?  I hate getting nekkid more than the average person, but I still do what I gotta do to catch things on the early side - yearly mammograms, yearly skin checks, colonoscopy at 45, paps every 3-5 years - the inconvenience/embarrassment is worth it to see my kids grow up.  If you think you don't have time to make an appointment, then you certainly don't have time to be sick, right?  You can dooooooo it!

Have a wonderful healthy weekend everybody!

4 comments:

  1. What a great end day to the season! So great that people came out to support you. I think grapenut ice cream would be OK, but I'd pass on rum raisin...
    Prayers for Andrew- he's got a whole semester to work on it- not all at once! But I'll add his name after my reluctant scholar's- my go to for academics is Thomas Aquinas for intercession. ( and St Jerome because my guy is sort of cranky. Got to think of a kindly athletic saint to ask for help for your Andrew.)
    Have fun with all the fall sports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St Pier Giorgio! He'd be a good one :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I would love an On Cloud review after a few races. People seem to love them. We live in the "Quad Cities" and my family thinks the logo looks like "QC" so much so that one kid said "why are the Quad City shoes so popular?" Yay JP for putting himself out there! And Maggie seems to be settling in just fine doesn't she? I will defintiely pray for Andrew to pass that class to graduate. Congratulations to all of you for a successful Cottage season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quad City shoes - love kids!! Maggie texted me this morning saying she's going to miss all her friends (which she just made since school started) when she goes to Austria next fall (when nursing majors go) and they all go in the Spring (because most are fall athletes). I was like girl, you obviously don't have a problem making friends...you'll be fine :)

      Delete

Talk to me...