Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Ode to My 40 Year Old Body


Not bad today, I say to my reflection in the mirror,
Grateful for the dust and smudges that don’t make it much clearer.

I remind myself that the belly which grieves me when dressing,
 Has housed and nourished my most wonderful blessings.

The wrinkles and lines near my mouth and eyes,
 Could tell stories of laughter and tears, life’s lows and highs.

Though I often wish they were a bit more thin,
Those thighs are crazy strong from hours in the gym.

My children marvel at my large biceps,
Though they’re less from weights lifted as babies schlepped.

The pants that were too tight today, the ones that raised my voice?
I can’t blame you body, you are just the product of a bad choice.

But then again, would I call a nice weekend “bad”?
Good memories were made, so much fun was had.

Suddenly the physical flaws become badges of honor,
This body has lived a good life and I’m not yet a goner!

A strong foundation covered in some soft layers,
From babies and for babies who need retreat from naysayers.

Scars and creases that give character to an otherwise boring existence,
Are things to cherish, not try to extinguish.

When I sat down to write this Ode to my Body,
I knew not how much gratitude I Owed to my Body.

So keep on keeping on, this body o’ mine.
I literally wouldn’t be me without you and you’re doing just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Haha this was great! What a wonderful perspective, too. It's all in how you choose to be grateful. I've got about 20 years on you and a few grandchildren but I can sure use these reminders even now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.

    I do not know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous
    blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...